Tire recommendation


tburmas
 

For those who don't race but love to ride on tarmac (not gravel) and not get flats, what do you recommend for tires?

I've been using Continental Gatorskins (28s) and am quite satisfied (haven't been getting flats, ride quality seems fine in dry and wet and tires last a long time), but was wondering if something else has surpassed them as technology has progressed.

Thanks,
Ted


mdavis94536
 

I've used Specialized Armadillos for years and they have worked very well for me.


On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 11:39 PM tburmas via groups.io <tburmas=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
For those who don't race but love to ride on tarmac (not gravel) and not get flats, what do you recommend for tires?

I've been using Continental Gatorskins (28s) and am quite satisfied (haven't been getting flats, ride quality seems fine in dry and wet and tires last a long time), but was wondering if something else has surpassed them as technology has progressed.

Thanks,
Ted



--
Mark


Abhishek Ratna
 

I’ve been pretty happy with tubeless and that can handle most minor chips and nails

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 12:09 PM tburmas via groups.io <tburmas=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
For those who don't race but love to ride on tarmac (not gravel) and not get flats, what do you recommend for tires?

I've been using Continental Gatorskins (28s) and am quite satisfied (haven't been getting flats, ride quality seems fine in dry and wet and tires last a long time), but was wondering if something else has surpassed them as technology has progressed.

Thanks,
Ted


Marie Hughes
 

I use Continental Grand Prix 4000s. They are about as strong as the Gatorskins but are faster and give a more comfortable ride.

Marie

On Mar 27, 2021, at 11:39 PM, tburmas via groups.io <tburmas@...> wrote:

For those who don't race but love to ride on tarmac (not gravel) and not get flats, what do you recommend for tires?

I've been using Continental Gatorskins (28s) and am quite satisfied (haven't been getting flats, ride quality seems fine in dry and wet and tires last a long time), but was wondering if something else has surpassed them as technology has progressed.

Thanks,
Ted


Amit Banerjee
 

Check out the detailed comparisons.
If your bike allows wider tires, I recommend getting 28mm.

I recently bought Continental GP5000, 28mm wide,
Great deal online from Excel Sports, Boulder, CO. Free shipping for over $99.

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 11:39 PM tburmas via groups.io <tburmas=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
For those who don't race but love to ride on tarmac (not gravel) and not get flats, what do you recommend for tires?

I've been using Continental Gatorskins (28s) and am quite satisfied (haven't been getting flats, ride quality seems fine in dry and wet and tires last a long time), but was wondering if something else has surpassed them as technology has progressed.

Thanks,
Ted


Gabriel Beddingfield
 

I still use Gatorskins (25mm), and also add a Stop Flats 2 (or Mr. Tuffy) tire liner for my training wheels. I also inspect them every ~10 hours for debris embedded in the tire. Been satisfied enough not to really look for anything else.

If I go to the "fast group ride" with that set-up... I'll usually get dropped. :-)

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 11:39 PM tburmas via groups.io <tburmas=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
For those who don't race but love to ride on tarmac (not gravel) and not get flats, what do you recommend for tires?

I've been using Continental Gatorskins (28s) and am quite satisfied (haven't been getting flats, ride quality seems fine in dry and wet and tires last a long time), but was wondering if something else has surpassed them as technology has progressed.

Thanks,
Ted


Matt Kihlthau
 

I really like the Grand Prix 4 Seasons. They’re perfect if you want a more performance compound and less rolling resistance with nearly the flat resistance of Gatorskins. I’d consider them the newer version of Gatorskins.

- Matt

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 2:01 PM Gabriel Beddingfield <gabrbedd@...> wrote:
I still use Gatorskins (25mm), and also add a Stop Flats 2 (or Mr. Tuffy) tire liner for my training wheels. I also inspect them every ~10 hours for debris embedded in the tire. Been satisfied enough not to really look for anything else.

If I go to the "fast group ride" with that set-up... I'll usually get dropped. :-)

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 11:39 PM tburmas via groups.io <tburmas=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
For those who don't race but love to ride on tarmac (not gravel) and not get flats, what do you recommend for tires?

I've been using Continental Gatorskins (28s) and am quite satisfied (haven't been getting flats, ride quality seems fine in dry and wet and tires last a long time), but was wondering if something else has surpassed them as technology has progressed.

Thanks,
Ted


Andrew Sass
 

I average one flat every two years with tubeless.  More than two years with the Schwalbe Pro Ones.  They roll nice and are lighter than a tire and tube.  

Bought a pair of Mavic rims a few years ago and they came with a complimentary set of Mavic Tubeless tires, stems and sealant, so no cost trial.  Nice tires, but the Mavics wore quickly, then they sprayed sealant, or rather wept a bit.  Eventually switched to Schwalbe and excellent wear.  They actually have three layers in the sidewalls, which can be a tires weak point.  They have some sealant layer, and i add air once or twice a week.  Even handled a 6p nail one day.  Pulled the nail out, let out a little pressure, spun the tires a couple times, and was good to go.  20 seconds vs 10 minutes.  I usually pump them up to 92 psi.

Good luck

Andy Sass

On Sunday, March 28, 2021, 01:07:46 PM PDT, Amit Banerjee <wrknplay@...> wrote:


Check out the detailed comparisons.
If your bike allows wider tires, I recommend getting 28mm.

I recently bought Continental GP5000, 28mm wide,
Great deal online from Excel Sports, Boulder, CO. Free shipping for over $99.

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 11:39 PM tburmas via groups.io <tburmas=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
For those who don't race but love to ride on tarmac (not gravel) and not get flats, what do you recommend for tires?

I've been using Continental Gatorskins (28s) and am quite satisfied (haven't been getting flats, ride quality seems fine in dry and wet and tires last a long time), but was wondering if something else has surpassed them as technology has progressed.

Thanks,
Ted


Nathan Bell
 

I’ve been riding on a set of Continental GatorHardshell for the last year and have found them to be excellent for durability and puncture resistance. Comparing the specs, they look like an improvement over the Gatorskins. I ride mostly on tarmac, but they’ve also handled all the gravel tracks I’ve been on without any issue. They hardly even pick up any splinters. I ride about 4-5 hours a week, and they still have plenty of life left in them. I had a set of Grand Prix 4-Season before them, which were good, but the Hardshell’s are a significant improvement. The only negative for me is that they’re more difficult to get on and off than the 4-Seasons, though that’s balanced out by how infrequently I have to do it, but of course in that respect ymmv. For me, they’ve been worth every penny.

 

From: info@ffbc.groups.io <info@ffbc.groups.io> On Behalf Of tburmas via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2021 11:40 PM
To: info@ffbc.groups.io
Subject: [public info] Tire recommendation

 

For those who don't race but love to ride on tarmac (not gravel) and not get flats, what do you recommend for tires?

I've been using Continental Gatorskins (28s) and am quite satisfied (haven't been getting flats, ride quality seems fine in dry and wet and tires last a long time), but was wondering if something else has surpassed them as technology has progressed.

Thanks,
Ted


FRANCIS SI
 


Continental GatorHardshell ,  totally agree ,  hardly find a dent on the surface. Highly recommend 



On 28 Mar 2021, at 3:47 PM, Nathan Bell <mixologism@...> wrote:

I’ve been riding on a set of Continental GatorHardshell for the last year and have found them to be excellent for durability and puncture resistance. Comparing the specs, they look like an improvement over the Gatorskins. I ride mostly on tarmac, but they’ve also handled all the gravel tracks I’ve been on without any issue. They hardly even pick up any splinters. I ride about 4-5 hours a week, and they still have plenty of life left in them. I had a set of Grand Prix 4-Season before them, which were good, but the Hardshell’s are a significant improvement. The only negative for me is that they’re more difficult to get on and off than the 4-Seasons, though that’s balanced out by how infrequently I have to do it, but of course in that respect ymmv. For me, they’ve been worth every penny.

 

From: info@ffbc.groups.io <info@ffbc.groups.io> On Behalf Of tburmas via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2021 11:40 PM
To: info@ffbc.groups.io
Subject: [public info] Tire recommendation

 

For those who don't race but love to ride on tarmac (not gravel) and not get flats, what do you recommend for tires?

I've been using Continental Gatorskins (28s) and am quite satisfied (haven't been getting flats, ride quality seems fine in dry and wet and tires last a long time), but was wondering if something else has surpassed them as technology has progressed.

Thanks,
Ted