Topics

moderated Morrison Canyon

Randy Fewel

From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)
image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Randy.

Cyril Paul

Randy,

Is this temporary or forever? I have not been keeping up with this.  I am sure I am not alone.

Cyril

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018, 12:17 Randy Fewel <jailteacher@... wrote:
From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)

Randy.

Nick Laszlo

“Forever” is an awfully long time, Cyril!

😳

On Oct 26, 2018, at 12:48 PM, Cyril Paul <cpaul78@...> wrote:

Randy,

Is this temporary or forever? I have not been keeping up with this.  I am sure I am not alone.

Cyril

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018, 12:17 Randy Fewel <jailteacher@... wrote:
From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)

Randy.

<image1.jpeg>

<image2.jpeg>

Michael Graff

Are bicycles treated as vehicles in this case?

"A person riding a bicycle or operating a pedicab upon a highway has all the rights and is subject to all the provisions applicable to the driver of a vehicle..."

Or is the road closed only to *motor* vehicles?

(Nextdoor says "The content you're looking for was posted in another neighborhood.")

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 12:17 PM Randy Fewel <jailteacher@...> wrote:
From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)

Randy.

Jennifer Reungchai

Time of Morrison Canyon Hill Repeats!

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 1:25 PM Michael Graff <michael.graff@...> wrote:
Are bicycles treated as vehicles in this case?

"A person riding a bicycle or operating a pedicab upon a highway has all the rights and is subject to all the provisions applicable to the driver of a vehicle..."

Or is the road closed only to *motor* vehicles?

(Nextdoor says "The content you're looking for was posted in another neighborhood.")

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 12:17 PM Randy Fewel <jailteacher@...> wrote:
From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)
image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Randy.

Glenn Kirby

I think this is happening because of conflicts with bicycles and walkers caused by the recent dramatic increase in commuter traffic being sent up Morrison and Vargas by the GPS tracking systems.  Hundreds of cars have been directed over this road in the afternoon commute leading to complaints.   Fremont City Council recently declared an unsafe condition on a 2-way road that is only nine feet wide in places.  This is an interim step pending more permanent legislation.  Closing the road will make it much nicer for people to ride and walk and to get to Vargas Plateau Regional Park.

Glenn Kirby

On Oct 26, 2018, at 1:24 PM, Michael Graff <michael.graff@...> wrote:

Are bicycles treated as vehicles in this case?

"A person riding a bicycle or operating a pedicab upon a highway has all the rights and is subject to all the provisions applicable to the driver of a vehicle..."

Or is the road closed only to *motor* vehicles?

(Nextdoor says "The content you're looking for was posted in another neighborhood.")

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 12:17 PM Randy Fewel <jailteacher@...> wrote:
From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)

Randy.

<image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg>

Matt Kihlthau

It looks like everyone’s commute is going to get even longer. 680 can’t handle the current amount of commute traffic and Niles Canyon helps relieve some of the pressure. Is there actually a plan to improve and reopen it?

Fremont keeps pushing back against using bypass roads including Niles Canyon, Paseo (added stop signs), and residentials near Mission Blvd. I get it for safety, but people need to get to work and get home after...with enough time to go ride their bikes!

The evening 880/680 backup in Fremont now extends past Miltpitas and into San Jose past 7:30pm regularly. We need a real solution, not simply forcing all cars onto the freeway to sit in gridlock.

-Matt Kihlthau

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 2:03 PM Glenn Kirby <gkirby@...> wrote:
[...]

From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)
image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Randy.

<image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg>

Michael Graff

Niles Canyon isn't closing. Just part of Morrison Canyon that connects to Vargas.

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 2:43 PM Matt Kihlthau <mkihlthau@...> wrote:
[...]

From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)
image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Randy.

<image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg>

Michael Graff

And you've probably seen the northbound 680 HOT lane under construction.

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 2:57 PM Michael Graff <michael.graff@...> wrote:
[...]

From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)
image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Randy.

<image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg>

Nick Laszlo

“Devil’s in the details”, as usual.

On Oct 26, 2018, at 3:02 PM, Michael Graff <michael.graff@...> wrote:

[...]

From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)

Randy.

<image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg>

Matt Kihlthau

Oh sorry. I misread which canyon is closing, haha.

-Matt

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 3:04 PM Nick Laszlo <laszlonick@...> wrote:
[...]

From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)
image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Randy.

<image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg>

Glenn Kirby

I think Niles Canyon would be a lovely bike path if they closed the highway and put gates on each end.  Like they do on Stroll & Roll.  But, then again, I’m retired and don’t have to commute

Glenn

On Oct 26, 2018, at 3:14 PM, Matt Kihlthau <mkihlthau@...> wrote:

[...]

From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)
image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Randy.

<image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg>

Dennis Dong

According to an article in the East Bay Times (dated June 26, 2018), the road will still be open to pedestrians and cyclists.  The City of Fremont is even thinking of putting up a gate to prevent vehicles from taking the shortcut to 680.  Here's the link to the article:

Dennis

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 12:17 PM Randy Fewel <jailteacher@...> wrote:
From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)

Randy.

Andreas Kadavanich

Bicycles are not vehicles.
This is why municipalities have to explicitly forbid sidewalk riding by ordinance. CVC 21663 does not apply to bicycles.

On Oct 26, 2018, at 13:24, Michael Graff <michael.graff@...> wrote:

Are bicycles treated as vehicles in this case?

"A person riding a bicycle or operating a pedicab upon a highway has all the rights and is subject to all the provisions applicable to the driver of a vehicle..."

Or is the road closed only to *motor* vehicles?

(Nextdoor says "The content you're looking for was posted in another neighborhood.")

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 12:17 PM Randy Fewel <jailteacher@...> wrote:
From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)

Randy.

<image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg>

Glenn Kirby

They are not Motor Vehicles. Bicycles are regulated in California under the Vehicle Code

On Oct 26, 2018, at 8:47 PM, Andreas Kadavanich <andreas@...> wrote:

Bicycles are not vehicles.
This is why municipalities have to explicitly forbid sidewalk riding by ordinance. CVC 21663 does not apply to bicycles.

On Oct 26, 2018, at 13:24, Michael Graff <michael.graff@...> wrote:

Are bicycles treated as vehicles in this case?

"A person riding a bicycle or operating a pedicab upon a highway has all the rights and is subject to all the provisions applicable to the driver of a vehicle..."

Or is the road closed only to *motor* vehicles?

(Nextdoor says "The content you're looking for was posted in another neighborhood.")

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 12:17 PM Randy Fewel <jailteacher@...> wrote:
From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)

Randy.

<image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg>

Dennis Dong

I'm not sure what this discussion turned into.  Yes, a bicycle is not a motor vehicle, but under CA VC 21200(a), a cyclist has to follow the rules of the road (including stop signs)

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018, 20:58 Glenn Kirby <gkirby@...> wrote:
They are not Motor Vehicles. Bicycles are regulated in California under the Vehicle Code

On Oct 26, 2018, at 8:47 PM, Andreas Kadavanich <andreas@...> wrote:

Bicycles are not vehicles.
This is why municipalities have to explicitly forbid sidewalk riding by ordinance. CVC 21663 does not apply to bicycles.

On Oct 26, 2018, at 13:24, Michael Graff <michael.graff@...> wrote:

Are bicycles treated as vehicles in this case?

"A person riding a bicycle or operating a pedicab upon a highway has all the rights and is subject to all the provisions applicable to the driver of a vehicle..."

Or is the road closed only to *motor* vehicles?

(Nextdoor says "The content you're looking for was posted in another neighborhood.")

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 12:17 PM Randy Fewel <jailteacher@...> wrote:
From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)

Randy.

<image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg>

Andreas Kadavanich

They are regulated by the Vehicle Code (so are pedestrians), but they are not vehicles, since they are “moved exclusively by human power”. (OK, I sometimes get an assist by gravity, but that doesn’t seem to count.)

CVC 670. A “vehicle” is a device by which any person or property may be propelled, moved, or drawn upon a highway, excepting a device moved exclusively by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.

This is why CVC 21200 has to explicitly call out that cyclists have to abide by the same rules as vehicle operators.

On Oct 26, 2018, at 20:58, Glenn Kirby <gkirby@...> wrote:

They are not Motor Vehicles. Bicycles are regulated in California under the Vehicle Code

On Oct 26, 2018, at 8:47 PM, Andreas Kadavanich <andreas@...> wrote:

Bicycles are not vehicles.
This is why municipalities have to explicitly forbid sidewalk riding by ordinance. CVC 21663 does not apply to bicycles.

On Oct 26, 2018, at 13:24, Michael Graff <michael.graff@...> wrote:

Are bicycles treated as vehicles in this case?

"A person riding a bicycle or operating a pedicab upon a highway has all the rights and is subject to all the provisions applicable to the driver of a vehicle..."

Or is the road closed only to *motor* vehicles?

(Nextdoor says "The content you're looking for was posted in another neighborhood.")

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 12:17 PM Randy Fewel <jailteacher@...> wrote:
From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)

Randy.

<image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg>

Andreas Kadavanich

If the sign says that the roads is closed to “vehicles”, but doesn’t mention bicycles, it’s open to bicycles. Because bicycles aren’t vehicles in California.

That was the original question being asked.

That said, the sign could be wrong. I haven’t read the text of the actual ordinance for the road closure.

On Oct 26, 2018, at 21:07, Dennis Dong <ronincopp@...> wrote:

[...]

From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)

Randy.

<image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg>

Vinnie Bacon

I’m embarrassed that I don’t know for sure since I was at the City Council meeting.  I don’t recall bikes being discussed.  I do remember that the only physical barrier will be a few poles that bikes could easily get through.

I will verify with staff.

Vinnie

El oct. 26, 2018, a las 21:35, Andreas Kadavanich <andreas@...> escribió:

[...]

From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)

Randy.

<image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg>

Vinnie Bacon

The closure will be for one year.  The City will reassess after that.

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 12:48 PM Cyril Paul <cpaul78@...> wrote:
Randy,

Is this temporary or forever? I have not been keeping up with this.  I am sure I am not alone.

Cyril

From my Nextdoor feed:

--
Vinnie Bacon