Topics

LAP 2!

Lori Sommer

Hello LAP Riders,
We are off to an inauspicious start with the rain but forging ahead with LAP 2 on Sunday.  We will head out into the country and see if the grass is green and how the cows, goats, llamas and horses are faring.  We start at the Dublin-Pleasanton Bart and will stop at a restroom within the first couple of miles.  Then we start climbing but it isn't too bad.  When we get to Collier Canyon, look for the windmill.  Then it is a fast decent to the bottom and then we will climb Doolan.  If you skip Doolan you can take off about 8 miles.  We will regroup at Starbucks in the Lucky's shopping center  at the corner of Portola and N. Livermore.  We are skipping Denica's this year and using a new approach to into the Starbucks.  If you'd still like to go to Denica's you are welcome to, just let a ride leader know you are leaving.  After coffee, we will head back via Holmes, Vallecitos, E. Vineyard and the Bernal Bump (which can also be skipped).

Of course! As of now rain is predicted on Sunday.  As we did last week, we will let you know by 7AM if the ride is canceled.  There was a snafu with the website last week regarding the discussion group (members only) and info group (general public) and some people may have received a late notification, which has been corrected.  Sorry about that, you are always welcome to text Lori if you are unsure if the ride is canceled.

We hope to see you on Sunday.

Lori, Ken and Vicki

9:00am

WhenSun, January 13, 9am – 2pm
WhereDublin - Pleasanton BART (5801 Owens Dr, Pleasanton, CA 94588), small parking lot near the intersection of Owens and Willow, Pleasanton (map)
DescriptionMILEAGE/ELEVATION GAIN: 41/1536’

PACE: T, M

Today’s route is a great ride into scenic rural areas. We will meet on the Pleasanton side, which is the south side of the of the Dublin-Pleasanton BART station (not the West Dublin-Pleasanton station near Stoneridge mall), in the small side parking lot near the intersection of Owens and Willow. Although there are no restrooms at the start, we will be stopping for a nature break at mile 2.2.

We will ride through Pleasanton followed by climbs on Gleason, Fallon, Camino Tassajara, Highland and Collier Canyon. This is a clockwise loop with a fun descent into Livermore. We will stop at Starbucks for coffee and meander back before climbing Bernal Bump as the finish to our ride.

 (https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26469159).

PDF versions of our Excel route sheets will be sent out via email to FFBC’s https://ffbc.groups.io/g/info/topics a few days before each ride. We ask that you print and bring it to the ride. The link to the route on ridewithgps.com is available for downloading but any route sheet generated from the link is for information only and does not have listed regroups.

We will maintain a Touring through Moderate pace (10 to 16 mph). No drops and regroups as needed. Extreme weather or construction may modify the route and rain cancels. A ride cancellation email will be sent to https://ffbc.groups.io/g/info/topics by the ride leader on the morning of the ride if it is being cancelled (no email means the ride is on). If you are unsure of the ride status, call or text ride leader on the morning of the ride.

Lori Sommer lorimsommer@... 510-693-8624
Ken Goldman ken.goldman@... 510-791-1095 (H) 510-378-5027 (C)
Vicki Robinson vickirobinson@... 510-813-2844

SERIES DESCRIPTION:
LAP Rides - More Fun!
The Less Aggressive Progressive (LAP) ride series is back for its seventh year and it’s going to be even better! Not only will you train for a metric century by cycling weekly routes, that get progressively longer with more climbing, but you will do it with a fun group of people! This year we are increasing the number of rides from ten to fourteen and we plan to summit Mt. Hamilton to finish out the series.

Of course most of the LAP routes can be modified (even Mt. Hamilton) to reduce mileage and climbing and you are always welcome to join mid-route, skip coffee/lunch, leave early or ride off the front – just let a ride leader know. There is always a sweep and we do many smaller regroups so no one is left behind. Once again, the LAP rides will be lead by lots of friendly, knowledgeable and helpful ride leaders for the LAP series.

The LAP series has less elevation gain and climbing than the traditional FFBC Progressive Series (PRS) and is aimed at Touring/Moderate pace riders (especially those that climb at a slower pace). PDF versions of our Excel route sheets will be sent out via email to FFBC’s https://ffbc.groups.io/g/info/topics a few days before each ride. We ask that you print and bring it to the ride. The link to the route on ridewithgps.com is available for downloading but any route sheet generated from the link is for information only and does not have listed regroups.

Come join us!
Lori, Ken & Vicki