Topics

Zwift Meet Up FFBC Shelter Ride Series

Jennifer Reungchai

Hi Everyone!

I think Zwift rides are great way for everyone to ride safely together. Let's explore the world of Watopia and climb the volcano together! I will have stick together mode so that no one is left behind. Is anyone available tomorrow at 10AM for an 1 hour ride? If not, please let me know a few times that works. I am also available after 1 pm tomorrow. Please email me your Zwift name so I can add you to the list. Thanks!

Ride duration: 1 hour
Location: Watopia Volcano Climb

Abhishek Ratna

I think this is a great idea - fridays are work days but am open to rides on saturday/sunday mornings

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 7:46 PM Jennifer Reungchai <rulersakura@...> wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I think Zwift rides are great way for everyone to ride safely together. Let's explore the world of Watopia and climb the volcano together! I will have stick together mode so that no one is left behind. Is anyone available tomorrow at 10AM for an 1 hour ride? If not, please let me know a few times that works. I am also available after 1 pm tomorrow. Please email me your Zwift name so I can add you to the list. Thanks!

Ride duration: 1 hour
Location: Watopia Volcano Climb

Becky

Jennifer,
Sounds like fun.  The volcano route is nice.  I can do 10am or after 1.  Last weeks ride was fun.

Ride On!! 🚴🏼‍♀️
Becky

On May 14, 2020, at 7:46 PM, Jennifer Reungchai <rulersakura@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone!

I think Zwift rides are great way for everyone to ride safely together. Let's explore the world of Watopia and climb the volcano together! I will have stick together mode so that no one is left behind. Is anyone available tomorrow at 10AM for an 1 hour ride? If not, please let me know a few times that works. I am also available after 1 pm tomorrow. Please email me your Zwift name so I can add you to the list. Thanks!

Ride duration: 1 hour
Location: Watopia Volcano Climb

Vinh Hoang

Hi Jennifer,
I am new to Zwift rides.  Is this a virtual ride that we each do on our own?  Do I need to download this software and route in order to ride virtually?
Vinh

--
Vinh Hoang
C: 510-366-8506

Jennifer Reungchai

Hi Vinh,

This is a ride that will be ridden on an App called Zwift. You will need to download the app and make an account. Then you have a little character that rides in the world as you ride your bike on an indoor trainer. I can invite people so that our characters ride together. Do you have an indoor trainer? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Jennifer

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 9:04 PM Vinh Hoang <vinh4959@...> wrote:
[...]

Randy Fewel

Hey Jennifer,
I think I’ll spend my stimulus check on an indoor trainer. I have no idea what to buy. Got any suggestions?
Randy

On May 14, 2020, at 9:39 PM, Jennifer Reungchai <rulersakura@...> wrote:

[...]

Robert Tashjian

Ask and ye shall receive:^) This is a very good article on smart trainers

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/10/the-smart-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter-2019-2020.html

If you want to ride with any of the online virtual trainers/mmorpg’s (zwift, sufferfest, trainerroad, rouvy, rgt, etc), you will need a ‘smart’ trainer. This puts you up into the $400+ category. The next decision is wheel-on or direct-drive. Wheel-on uses your rear wheel (and wears the rear tire)  - or you have an extra wheel & tire and swap them on you bike. Direct-drive removes the rear wheel, but you have to add (read: buy) an extra cassette to put on the direct-drive trainer. Direct-drive is generally preferable, but adds they start around $800-$900. They are also larger, heavier, and not as easy to store as a wheel-on trainer.

I got a wheel-on Wahoo Kickr Snap, which I like a lot, because I didn’t know if I would use it enough to justify the additional $500 for a direct drive and it’s easier to store.

REI is having a 20% off one thing sale next week (starting today) and it applies to trainers. I got mine from them.

Finally, plan on getting a mat, sweat net, fan, and stack of towels; You will sweat buckets!

Rob

---

Robert Tashjian

rob@...

[...]

Cinnamon Miras

Second the Wahoo kicker, easy to put my bike on and off my trainer, ease of use makes the tire wear worth it to me. I also bought mine from REI last year with 15%.

Cinnamon

On Fri, May 15, 2020, 12:41 PM Robert Tashjian <rob@...> wrote:

[...]

Happy owner of a wahoo KOM bundle and the incline simulation rocks. I did read that the elito drive (on the dcrainmaker link shared earlier) is the most accurate for Zwift but the power accuracy on the top end trainers are so close that it won't make a difference.

My advice
1. Wahoos are extremely popular for a reason, things work smoothly out of the box and they run much quieter. I liked that my Kickr came with a 11sp cassette so I didn't have to shop for extras. Also their support is helpful and knowledgeable.
2. You can save quite a bit by not buying the mat, desk, and fan from wahoo. I bought a Blackburn cycling mat for half the cost, an adjustable standing laptop desk from home depot for a sixth of the price and a regular cyclone fan. Savings to the tune of $600. Better to invest that on the Kickr climb IMO

On Fri, May 15, 2020, 1:14 PM Cinnamon Miras <loscanelos3@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Randy!

As Rob mentioned, Direct drive option is probably most realistic riding experience and also will save the life of your tyres but it can be pricey. I really like the brand Wahoo. They have a good reputation and I use all of their products. When the REI Sale start I would recommend buying from them because it will be easier to return if there are issues or you find that you dont like it. I use the Wahoo Kickr Core. It's their middle level trainer and I've enjoyed training on it for over year no with issues. I believe Wahoo is probably the most popular brand that people are using to ride indoors. Other good brands to check out include: TACX. They are made by garmin but their prices are higher than wahoo. Cycleops is another one that REI sales. I would still recommend the wahoo out of all of the other brands. Feel free to call me if you want to discuss further or have additional questions.

Best regards,
Jennifer
510-585-8248

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 12:41 PM Robert Tashjian <rob@...> wrote:

[...]

Or you can just use an old yoga mat like me. Pic below is my set up. iPad on Zwift. iPhone on Zwift companion app. And wahoo kickr core. Rising desk I found on amazon.

On May 15, 2020, at 1:20 PM, Abhishek Ratna <abhishekratna@...> wrote:

[...]

I Zwift with my iPad too. Does the REI clearance apply to new bikes as well?

On May 15, 2020, at 2:33 PM, rulersakura@... wrote:

Or you can just use an old yoga mat like me. Pic below is my set up. iPad on Zwift. iPhone on Zwift companion app. And wahoo kickr core. Rising desk I found on amazon.

<image0.jpeg>

[...]

Wow. Thanks everyone for all the thoughtful information. REI website, here I come.
Randy