LAS #5 - Old Tunnel Road

Lori Sommer

Hello,

This Sunday the LAS ride will do an old favorite - Old Tunnel Road.  You can meet us on the platform at Fremont BART (7:59AM - Ken & 8:23AM - Lori), along the way or at the Rockridge BART Station (9:10AM).  We ROLL at 9:25.  The route is 30 miles (2549') but you can always take BART at Castro Valley after coffee and reduce the mileage to 24 (2,200'). The route is changed slightly from last year after coffee.  Similar to last year, we do take Walnut Ave on the way back to the start at Fremont BART and we can try the newly completed raised bike lanes.  Then you can have an opinion at the FFBC Club Meeting next Tuesday (if you don't have one already).

The route sheet is attached to this email as well as to the ride posting.  Please bring a copy to the ride!

Lori and Ken

Sunday, 8 March
08:00
 LAS #5 Old Tunnel Road!
WhenSun, 8 March, 08:00 – 13:30
DescriptionMILEAGE 39 (24)
ELEVATION GAIN: 2549' (2200’)

TIME: 8:00AM at Fremont BART, 9:10AM at the South side of Rockridge BART
RIDE START: Rockridge BART, 5660 College Ave, Oakland (ground level, South side, near Keith Avenue)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32038712

We will start at the Fremont BART station and ride the trains to the Rockridge BART
Station in Oakland (or you can join us there). The BART fare is $4.85 one-way.  We will catch the 8:23AM Richmond train, transfer at the 19th St. Station to an Antioch train and arrive at the Rockridge Station at 9:08AM. There is an earlier train leaving Fremont at 7:59AM that arrives at 8:44AM. Meet at ground level, outside on the South side of the station, near Keith Avenue.

At 9:25AM, we will hop on our bikes and cycle back to Fremont. From the Rockridge BART station, we will head up Old Tunnel Road and make a quick stop at the Oakland Hills Fire Memorial Park, then go up and over the Caldecott Tunnel. If there’s no fog, the views will be spectacular. We will continue south along Skyline and descend Redwood Road with a stop in Castro Valley for lunch/coffee. Afterwards we will have a "mostly" flat ride home.  If you want to cut 15 miles off after lunch, there is an option to get on BART in Castro Valley.

We will use the ridewithgps generated route sheet.  It is attached to this post.  Please print it and bring it to the ride.  Additionally, it will be attached to the  FFBC group email reminder a few days before the ride.

We will maintain a Touring through Moderate pace (10 to 16 mph) on the flats. No drops and regroups as needed. Extreme weather or construction may modify the route and rain cancels. A ride cancellation email will be sent to https://ffbc.groups.io/g/info/topics by the ride leader on the morning of the ride if it is being cancelled (no email means the ride is on). If you are unsure of the ride status, call or text ride leader on the morning of the ride.

Lori Sommer lorimsommer@... 510-693-8624
Ken Goldman ken.goldman@... 510-791-1095 (H) 510-378-5027 (C)

Lori Sommer

Remember Daylight Savings starts on Sunday.  Thanks, Rob. Ken reminded me yesterday but I forgot to mention it.

Lori

On Mar 4, 2020, at 4:43 PM, Lori Sommer <lorimsommer@...> wrote:

[...]

<LAS #5 Tunnel Rd-from Rockridge to Fremont_BART.pdf>

Lori Sommer

I know!