LAP 4 - ATTACHED ROUTE SHEET

Lori Sommer

Hello LAP riders!

We were rained out on Sunday but some of us were able to get in a chilly LAP 3 on Monday.  I will grudgingly admit that Huddart was really pretty but dang, it is steep!  Thank you to our spectacular ride leaders - Vanessa, Louis, Conni and Dennis Dong.  We appreciate your help.

On to LAP 4, an old favorite, Portola Loop with Upper Alpine added in.  The official route is 42miles with 2,175' of elevation gain.  However, it can be modified by skipping the out and back on Upper Alpine and it will be 35miles and 1207' of gain.  You can also park at the base of the Dumbarton and meet us at the benches on the other side and cut out 5-6miles.  Something for almost everyone!

A clarification regarding LAP route sheets - the official route sheet is ATTACHED to this email and should be printed and brought to the ride. This beautiful pdf has all our official regroups and route modifications!  The route sheet generated using this ridewithgps link (https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26478350) is for INFORMATION ONLY.

We will meet in the upper parking lot as we expect the restrooms at the Visitor Center to still be closed.

We hope to see you Sunday.

Lori and Ken

WhenSun, January 27, 9am – 2pm
Where2 Marshlands Road, Fremont (near Don Edwards Visitor Center restrooms) (map)
DescriptionMI: 41.9 (35.2) ELE.: 2,175' (1207') PACE (M/T) UPDATE 3/23/19 Meet in the upper parking lot! There are porta-potties available but the flushing restrooms near the visitor center are closed. Today’s LAP ride takes us over the Bay to the Portola Loop, a popular route for local bicyclists. Let’s meet at Don Edward’s Wildlife Refuge. Please ride over or park in the upper parking lot (not the Visitor Center lot), to the west/left side of Marshlands Rd. Meet at the Visitor Center’s restrooms. Our route will cross the Dumbarton Bridge and take us on the bike bridge over 101 with a regroup at Burgess Park in Menlo Park. We will climb Sandhill, Alpine and then another seven miles to the gate at the end of Alpine. After catching our breath, we’ll U-turn back to Robert’s Market for a quick lunch. If you want to reduce the climbing, just turn into Robert’s Market as we pass it the first time and take a long coffee break. We will return on Portola/Sandhill and Willow. (https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26478350) PDF versions of our Excel route sheets will be sent out via email to FFBC’s https://ffbc.groups.io/g/info/topics a few days before each ride. We ask that you print and bring it to the ride. The link to the route on ridewithgps.com is available for downloading but any route sheet generated from the link is for information only and does not have listed regroups. We will maintain a Touring through Moderate pace (10 to 16 mph). No drops and regroups as needed. Extreme weather or construction may modify the route and rain cancels. A ride cancellation email will be sent to https://ffbc.groups.io/g/info/topics by the ride leader on the morning of the ride if it is being cancelled (no email means the ride is on). If you are unsure of the ride status, call or text ride leader on the morning of the ride. Lori Sommer lorimsommer@... 510-693-8624 Ken Goldman ken.goldman@... 510-791-1095 (H) 510-378-5027 (C) Vicki Robinson vickirobinson@... 510-813-2844