moderated Re: Morrison Canyon

Tony DD

I thought so but, I wasn't in the position to argue.
I saw a couple riding casually in the blocked street  right before I entered so, i assumed it was ok for cyclists.

On Friday, October 26, 2018, 11:06:57 PM PDT, Andreas Kadavanich <andreas@...> wrote:

Well the police officer was wrong in stating that a bike is a vehicle.

But s/he may have been correct in blocking access. Depends on what the ordinance/resolution for the parade states. Once a street is officially closed, CVC effectively no longer applies.

Practically speaking, parades and other special events are highly stressful for police. I’d cut them some slack, there.

On Oct 26, 2018, at 22:13, Tony DD via Groups.Io <iamhippo@...> wrote:

I guess it depends on what and how its posted?
I rode in the zone that was blocked for the Fremont parade and the Fremont PD threatened to give me a ticket saying the street was blocked for all vehicles and stated the bike is a vehicle. This was at the corner of the Stevenson/Paseo Padre by the Fremont library this year.
I was only trying to get home.

On Friday, October 26, 2018, 9:35:55 PM PDT, Andreas Kadavanich <andreas@...> wrote:

If the sign says that the roads is closed to “vehicles”, but doesn’t mention bicycles, it’s open to bicycles. Because bicycles aren’t vehicles in California.

That was the original question being asked.

That said, the sign could be wrong. I haven’t read the text of the actual ordinance for the road closure.

On Oct 26, 2018, at 21:07, Dennis Dong <ronincopp@...> wrote:

I'm not sure what this discussion turned into.  Yes, a bicycle is not a motor vehicle, but under CA VC 21200(a), a cyclist has to follow the rules of the road (including stop signs)

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018, 20:58 Glenn Kirby <gkirby@...> wrote:
They are not Motor Vehicles. Bicycles are regulated in California under the Vehicle Code

On Oct 26, 2018, at 8:47 PM, Andreas Kadavanich <andreas@...> wrote:

Bicycles are not vehicles.
This is why municipalities have to explicitly forbid sidewalk riding by ordinance. CVC 21663 does not apply to bicycles.

On Oct 26, 2018, at 13:24, Michael Graff <michael.graff@...> wrote:

Are bicycles treated as vehicles in this case?

"A person riding a bicycle or operating a pedicab upon a highway has all the rights and is subject to all the provisions applicable to the driver of a vehicle..."

Or is the road closed only to *motor* vehicles?

(Nextdoor says "The content you're looking for was posted in another neighborhood.")

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 12:17 PM Randy Fewel <jailteacher@...> wrote:
From my Nextdoor feed:

Yay! It's happening!

Morrison Canyon Road will be closed to vehicles starting November 17th :-)

Randy.

<image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg>