Re: Professional bike fit, recommendations?

Cinnamon Miras

I responded to Gabe, but I thought I'd respond here for everyone too. Yes, I definitely want a thorough, professional bike fit. 1 hr session isn't going to cut it.

 When I bought my bike the bike shop did a fit, but they had a real challenge. Admitting that my leg length didn't correspond to my arm length/reach. I also know that my left leg is 6mm shorter than my right. They never suggested a shim and at the time I was clueless. I was ok riding outside 2x/wk about 30 miles each ride. I think because I was on and off the bike with traffic lights. Switching to indoor trainer and I'm having issues with my left knee. I know my road bike has endurance geometry and my end goal is a full gran fondo. With my body parts being so unsymmetrical I want someone who has a thorough knowledge of body mechanics. I didn't pay $$$$ for my first road bike to be limited on how and where I can ride it, LOL

I also want to thank everyone who has given a suggestion, I'm sending emails asking specific questions and will then decide where to go. I'm so grateful to be apart of this group, membership is worth every penny!!! I hope to join a group ride soon.

Cinnamon

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022, 10:06 AM Gabriel Beddingfield <gabrbedd@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I should probably clarify what I said...

I'm a rider with lots of experience looking for a "high performance" fit. The "high performance" part is the extra bit I got from 3dbikefit. (And it has a "high performance" price tag.) The OP's message made it sound like they were also looking for this.

If you are a new-ish rider... don't over-think it. Pedro, 3dbikefit, and your local bike store will all give you a fit that will avoid injuries and keep you comfortable for long hours in the saddle. And definitely try on different saddles!

-gabe

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 8:52 AM Gabriel Beddingfield <gabrbedd@...> wrote:
Howdy!

I recently got a "I'm buying a new bike" Retul fit at https://www.3dbikefit.com/ and I highly recommend it. It seems to match your description. It's pretty expensive, but I feel like I got my money's worth. For example, there are several things about my posture on the bike that were pointed out... and I'm working to improve this in my training. They were also able to point out some of the "idiosyncracies" of my body that helped explain why certain things happen. I was not getting fit for a track bike, but when I applied some of the fit to my track bike... I was able to spin up to a higher RPM on the rollers without bouncing or losing control (135 -> .155). They also sell custom footbeds... and I've been very pleased with those, too.

Prior to this (2019), I had gone to https://fittedbypedro.com/ , which I don't recommend. The bike fit might have been OK, but I didn't get the "physical therapy or kinesiology" that I had been hoping for. I think he did a range-of-motion screening, but I don't remember it being particularly thorough. I also suspect that the fit might not have been "best" for me... but... it's been 3 years and it's not an exact science.

Good luck!

-gabe

On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 5:32 PM Cinnamon Miras <loscanelos3@...> wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone suggest an expert bike fitter? Someone who has background knowledge of physical therapy or kinesiology.

I bought my first road bike just a few years ago, had the bike fit where they focused on knee angle. I didn't have any problems with pain, maybe because of all traffic lights I was moving all the time.

Life changes and now I do rides indoors on my smart trainer 2x/week sometimes 3. I had inner knee pain/discomfort with my left knee, kept going and it got worse then my right knee was sore. I stopped, rested, ice etc, etc I took off my SPD and put on flat pedals. I was hit n miss riding, mostly missing. With Primavera coming I started riding indoors again regularly and inner left knee pain is back. So, clipped or flats I'm having the same problem and need this fixed asap. If you know of a professional bike fitter (not a company trained one) please let me know.

Thanks,
Cinnamon