Re: Wide Corners at Walnut

Andrew Sass <andrew.sass@...>

Three more near misses that I have seen (one being me, even with a bright rear light and front light with side flashers).  I have also seen one with a car leaving that apartment complex and pulling up to where they can see oncoming traffic and almost hitting a bike, and a car/bus near miss as the bus just stops in the street as there is no pullout for the bus stop.

The problem is worst when the light is green to begin with.  The cyclist pulls up onto the sidewalk and the car does not expect them to pop out again when the car turns.  It is safer for cyclists just to go straight and take the lane when on Paseo.  At least they are seen.  It would be much better if the curb was back 4 feet to safely go straight

While I am venting, those islands that are in the bike lane on Washington Blvd are also an accident waiting to happen.  Cyclists, even novice ones travel fast on the downhill and hitting those are certain broken bones, or worse.

There should be a moratorium on any more street changes until some statistics and feedback are examined

Andy Sass

On Thursday, August 12, 2021, 09:54:49 AM PDT, Vinnie Bacon <vbacon@...> wrote:

You should send this to Hans Larsen at Fremont’s DPW. Hans is very good with bike issues but he’s not perfect. I was just commenting last night that I don’t like how bikes go up on the sidewalk on Walnut.

Another big issue is the nice wide right turn lanes for bikes look like they could be for cars. The initial design at Civic Center / BART Way was like that, and the City had to redo it. I saw the new configuration at Mowry / Fremont and my first thought was those right turn lanes would be too small for a lot of vehicles, not even realizing they are not for vehicles. Motorists will be confused too unless they paint them bright green.

Vinnie Bacon

e: vbacon@...