Re: low psi ok for 28mm gatorskins?

Robert Tashjian

The Gatorskins (and Gatorblah,blah,blah follow-ons) are clinchers, not tubeless, so you want to run them at higher pressure than equivalent tubeless tires. The pressure kinda depends on several factors:

How heavy are you (and the bike)? This is probably the most important one.

How wide is the rim? A 20mm internal width rim can (and should) run lower pressure than a 15mm internal width rim.

How aggressive are you?

How bad is the surface you’re riding on?

You generally want more pressure in the rear tire than the front. If you are 140lb on a 20lb bike with 20mm rims, probably. If you are 200lbs on a 20lb bike with 15mm rims, probably asking for a flat.

Most rim manufacturers have a pressure calculator hidden away on their websites somewhere, probably best to check with whoever made your rims.

Rob

---

Robert Tashjian

rob@...