Re: Help with tricky traffic situation

William Ho

Just be very careful in the sidewalk. A car was getting towed at the spot in the photo some years ago, so I thought the tow truck will draw to much attention if I went thru the subway so I took the sidewalk! 🤦‍♂️Hit the uneven sidewalk such that both hands fell off the bars at 12mph (power data shows it), front wheel into the grass rut and went over my bars. Favorite REI wind jacket & Giro Prolight helmet ruined! 😡

I take the full lane and decision to do it at the traffic light is done if it’s red, and the white hashed are is rather large, so be emphatic that you are taking the lane via arm signal  We really don’t want cars changing lanes under the tracks. Also show you are trying by making a mini sprint, and don’t take your sweet time.

—William

On Mar 20, 2021, at 12:16 PM, mdavis94536 <mark@...> wrote:

Nice!

I would argue though that that shouldn't even be marked as a bike lane.  It's marked as such at the intersection as you enter, but then it just tapers down to nothing without warning, essentially.

BTW one alternative is to just take the sidewalk through the tunnel.  A bit inconvenient, but AFAIK legal, and at the very least morally justifiable.

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 12:10 PM Ken Goldman <ken.goldman@...> wrote:
<image.png>

Ken

On Mar 20, 2021, at 10:29 AM, Yahoo-Julie via groups.io <jmgilson1=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I’m not aware of a ‘share the road’ sign or a sharrow marked on the road - worthwhile contacting City’s Public Works staff?

Julie

On Mar 20, 2021, at 7:37 AM, Joe Banchero <huck-162@...> wrote:

Agree with Ken, it's the only safe way to ride that section.
On 03/19/2021 11:36 PM Ken Goldman <ken.goldman@...> wrote:

Ted,

I go through there quite often without any problem.

I wait for a gap in traffic, signal with my left arm, and move to the center of the right lane. When there is no bike lane, taking the entire lane is the only safe option. If a car does come up behind me, it will either have to wait ten seconds while I go under the underpass or it can move to the other lane.

Ken

On Mar 19, 2021, at 11:19 PM, tburmas via groups.io <tburmas=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello,
     I've had yet another dangerous encounter under the bridge on Mission Blvd between Stevenson traveling to Las Palmas.  The location is here: https://goo.gl/maps/7JUqT2xFAeVYVmzU7  For years I've dreaded this section as the bike lane narrows to inches.  Today a minivan honked me as I was entering then passed me (also inches away).  I was as far right as I could be with a flashing red LED during daylight - I wasn't doing anything odd.  The horn scared me and I got quite upset that the driver almost caused an accident.

    I'm looking for pointers on how to ride this section.  Going the opposite direction I momentarily hop onto the sidewalk as I feel safer (it also has a bike lane that narrows to inches).  I might have to do the same for the direction I had an issue with today and go into the mini tunnel. I generally don't do this as I never see an easy/safe entrance as most cars are trying to make a right on Mission from Stevenson and block the sidewalk ramp at the intersection.

Any suggestions are welcome,
Ted

--
Mark