Re: Help with tricky traffic situation

tburmas

Julie,
Great idea!    I just did it...

Request ID# 1925391 - New Sign (Traffic Signs)

A comment has been added to New Sign (Traffic Signs) Service Request ID# 1925391:

Thank you for contacting the City of Fremont. Your concerns are important to us. If additional information is needed, a representative will contact you. You will be updated on the status of your request using the email address provided.

Thank you,
Fremont

On Mar 20, 2021, at 10:29 AM, Julie Gilson <jmgilson1@...> wrote:

I’m not aware of a ‘share the road’ sign or a sharrow marked on the road - worthwhile contacting City’s Public Works staff?

Julie

On Mar 20, 2021, at 7:37 AM, Joe Banchero <huck-162@...> wrote:

Agree with Ken, it's the only safe way to ride that section.
On 03/19/2021 11:36 PM Ken Goldman <ken.goldman@...> wrote:

Ted,

I go through there quite often without any problem.

I wait for a gap in traffic, signal with my left arm, and move to the center of the right lane. When there is no bike lane, taking the entire lane is the only safe option. If a car does come up behind me, it will either have to wait ten seconds while I go under the underpass or it can move to the other lane.

Ken

On Mar 19, 2021, at 11:19 PM, tburmas via groups.io <tburmas@...> wrote:

Hello,
     I've had yet another dangerous encounter under the bridge on Mission Blvd between Stevenson traveling to Las Palmas.  The location is here: https://goo.gl/maps/7JUqT2xFAeVYVmzU7  For years I've dreaded this section as the bike lane narrows to inches.  Today a minivan honked me as I was entering then passed me (also inches away).  I was as far right as I could be with a flashing red LED during daylight - I wasn't doing anything odd.  The horn scared me and I got quite upset that the driver almost caused an accident.

    I'm looking for pointers on how to ride this section.  Going the opposite direction I momentarily hop onto the sidewalk as I feel safer (it also has a bike lane that narrows to inches).  I might have to do the same for the direction I had an issue with today and go into the mini tunnel. I generally don't do this as I never see an easy/safe entrance as most cars are trying to make a right on Mission from Stevenson and block the sidewalk ramp at the intersection.

Any suggestions are welcome,
Ted