Re: Zwift Meet Up FFBC Shelter Ride Series

Jennifer Reungchai

Hi Randy!

As Rob mentioned, Direct drive option is probably most realistic riding experience and also will save the life of your tyres but it can be pricey. I really like the brand Wahoo. They have a good reputation and I use all of their products. When the REI Sale start I would recommend buying from them because it will be easier to return if there are issues or you find that you dont like it. I use the Wahoo Kickr Core. It's their middle level trainer and I've enjoyed training on it for over year no with issues. I believe Wahoo is probably the most popular brand that people are using to ride indoors. Other good brands to check out include: TACX. They are made by garmin but their prices are higher than wahoo. Cycleops is another one that REI sales. I would still recommend the wahoo out of all of the other brands. Feel free to call me if you want to discuss further or have additional questions.

Best regards,
Jennifer
510-585-8248

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 12:41 PM Robert Tashjian <rob@...> wrote:

Ask and ye shall receive:^) This is a very good article on smart trainers

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/10/the-smart-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter-2019-2020.html

If you want to ride with any of the online virtual trainers/mmorpg’s (zwift, sufferfest, trainerroad, rouvy, rgt, etc), you will need a ‘smart’ trainer. This puts you up into the $400+ category. The next decision is wheel-on or direct-drive. Wheel-on uses your rear wheel (and wears the rear tire)  - or you have an extra wheel & tire and swap them on you bike. Direct-drive removes the rear wheel, but you have to add (read: buy) an extra cassette to put on the direct-drive trainer. Direct-drive is generally preferable, but adds they start around $800-$900. They are also larger, heavier, and not as easy to store as a wheel-on trainer.

I got a wheel-on Wahoo Kickr Snap, which I like a lot, because I didn’t know if I would use it enough to justify the additional $500 for a direct drive and it’s easier to store.

REI is having a 20% off one thing sale next week (starting today) and it applies to trainers. I got mine from them.

Finally, plan on getting a mat, sweat net, fan, and stack of towels; You will sweat buckets!

Rob

---

Robert Tashjian

rob@...