Re: Zwift Meet Up FFBC Shelter Ride Series

Abhishek Ratna

Happy owner of a wahoo KOM bundle and the incline simulation rocks. I did read that the elito drive (on the dcrainmaker link shared earlier) is the most accurate for Zwift but the power accuracy on the top end trainers are so close that it won't make a difference.

My advice
1. Wahoos are extremely popular for a reason, things work smoothly out of the box and they run much quieter. I liked that my Kickr came with a 11sp cassette so I didn't have to shop for extras. Also their support is helpful and knowledgeable.
2. You can save quite a bit by not buying the mat, desk, and fan from wahoo. I bought a Blackburn cycling mat for half the cost, an adjustable standing laptop desk from home depot for a sixth of the price and a regular cyclone fan. Savings to the tune of $600. Better to invest that on the Kickr climb IMO

On Fri, May 15, 2020, 1:14 PM Cinnamon Miras <loscanelos3@...> wrote:
Second the Wahoo kicker, easy to put my bike on and off my trainer, ease of use makes the tire wear worth it to me. I also bought mine from REI last year with 15%.

Cinnamon

On Fri, May 15, 2020, 12:41 PM Robert Tashjian <rob@...> wrote:

Ask and ye shall receive:^) This is a very good article on smart trainers

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/10/the-smart-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter-2019-2020.html

If you want to ride with any of the online virtual trainers/mmorpg’s (zwift, sufferfest, trainerroad, rouvy, rgt, etc), you will need a ‘smart’ trainer. This puts you up into the $400+ category. The next decision is wheel-on or direct-drive. Wheel-on uses your rear wheel (and wears the rear tire)  - or you have an extra wheel & tire and swap them on you bike. Direct-drive removes the rear wheel, but you have to add (read: buy) an extra cassette to put on the direct-drive trainer. Direct-drive is generally preferable, but adds they start around $800-$900. They are also larger, heavier, and not as easy to store as a wheel-on trainer.

I got a wheel-on Wahoo Kickr Snap, which I like a lot, because I didn’t know if I would use it enough to justify the additional $500 for a direct drive and it’s easier to store.

REI is having a 20% off one thing sale next week (starting today) and it applies to trainers. I got mine from them.

Finally, plan on getting a mat, sweat net, fan, and stack of towels; You will sweat buckets!

Rob

---

Robert Tashjian

rob@...